No big surprise for Hot Toys to release this figure. It was just a matter of when.
The mark VII was featured in the Avengers movie and marks the return of the circular light in the chest. The differences between this and the previous mark again is very subtle. The first images of the figure unleashed some heated discussions between fans. Mainly concerning about the chest piece and differences compared to the movie version. And of course about the head sculpt.
I have tho admit. Hot Toys set the bar for high quality and lifelike head sculpts very high for themselves . Which resulted in disapoiting head sculpts in their Avengers line. All the sculpt seems to be just off. Well, they still are high quality and lifelike and to be fair, we’ve seem some great sculpts like Loki and Black Widow and I am more than curious to judge them them real life. But overall you expect better from Hot Toys.
Like this head sculpt of Robert Downey. To me it’s not Downey. It could be his brother. Sure, it’s a great sculpt and I love that little smirk, but he looks more like Dustin Hoffmann to me than Robert Downey.
What sets this figure apart from the rest of the Avengers line are it’s accessories. It’s common place for an Iron Man figure. Interchangeable armor plates, battle damage and a an extra head.
Unfortunatelythis is felt by the steep price tag. Did the previous Iron Man mark II (version 2.0) go for just under 200 euros. This baby would go up to 250 euro featuring far less accessories.
That’s where I will draw the line. This would probably my last Iron Man. I also dare to say that, because the images I’ve seen of the new Iron Man armor from the third movie didn’t get my heart pumping. In the meantime, this mark won’t be released before March 2013. So I have to time to save up.
For images and specifications, read more after the jump.
Hot Toys -MMS185- The 1/6th scale Mark VII Limited Edition Collectible Figurine specially features:
- Authentic and detailed fully realized likeness of Mark VII in the movie
- Interchangeable head sculpt of Tony Stark with authentic likeness of Robert Downey Jr.
- Approximately 30 cm tall
- Over 36 points of articulations
- Special features on armor:
- LED-lighted eyes and circle-shaped RT on chest (white light, battery operated)
- One (1) interchangeable battle damaged mask
- One (1) pair of damaged shoulder armor
- One (1) removable chest armor
- One (1) damaged chest armor
- One (1) pair of detachable forearm rockets
- One (1) pair of wrist laser on forearm armor
- Two (2) pairs of interchangeable palms including:
- One (1) pair with improved articulations, movable fingers and light-up repulsors (white light, battery operated)
- One (1) pair of forceful fists
- Improved articulations on waist armor which allow flexible movement
- Three (3) sets of interchangeable thigh armor (missile, armor & normal styles)
- Fully deployed air flaps at back of the armor with built-in metal flaps
- Articulated flaps at the back of armor on left and right legs
- Metallic red and gold-colored painting on armor
- Figure stand with Mark VII nameplate and movie logo
- One (1) Holographic Mark VII collectible (approximately 3 inches tall)
(This special edition is for selected markets only.)
- Head Sculpted by Kojun
- Head Painted by JC. Hong
- Head Art Directed by JC. Hong
**Prototype shown, final product may be slightly different
**Battery included for collectible figure, AG1 batteries (6 pieces) and AG9 (3 pieces) are required
Release date: Q1, 2013